Thursday, February 23, 2012

FEBRUARY 26 SERVICE

Enter to Worship, Depart to Serve

We invite you to sign the worship registry at the end of each row and pass it on to others in your pew, then pass the book back. 

Our Mission:  "To make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world."

WORDS OF WELCOME/ANNOUNCEMENTS

ORGAN PRELUDE

+CALL TO WORSHIP
LEADER: I am a good Christian.
PEOPLE: What do you mean?LEADER: Well, I go to church every Sunday.
PEOPLE: That is not enough.
LEADER: Well, I rarely take the Lord's name in vain, and I almost
                 never lie, and even when I do, it's just a little one.
PEOPLE: That is not enough.
LEADER: I visit my parents.
PEOPLE: That is not enough.
LEADER: Well, I've never stolen anything, and I've certainly never
                 killed anyone.
PEOPLE: It's still not enough.
LEADER: What then? What is enough?
PEOPLE: You must love God. We must love God. With our
                 hearts. With our minds. With our bodies. With our
                 souls. We must love our neighbors. We must love
                 ourselves.
ALL:         Let us put our love into motion as we worship the One
                 who's taught us to love.

+OPENING HYMN        “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling”           #384

PRAYER
Merciful God, you have called us to be imitators of your Son, who embodied the commandment to love you completely in heart, soul, mind and strength. Make our hearts tender to people whom you love, the “least of these” that we encounter each day. May the compassion of our souls well up within us and cause us to act on behalf of those who are marginalized, underage, infirm, poor, victimized and voiceless. Challenge us to use our intellect and education for the common good, not just for personal advancement. Grant us the strength to build, to meet needs, to encourage, to reach out, to give sacrificially and selflessly. Thank you for the example of Jesus and for the trust you have placed in us to continue to model the greatest commandment to the world. Amen.

SPECIAL MUSIC BY KAREN HOLLINGSHEAD

TIME WITH YOUNG DISCIPLES

HYMN                          “Lord, I Want to Be a Christian”               #402

SCRIPTURES              Mark 12:28-34  

MESSAGE

OFFERING
As forgiven and reconciled people, let us offer ourselves and our gifts to God.  

+DOXOLOGY #95
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  Amen.

PRAYER OF DEDICATION

+ CLOSING HYMN       “Blest Be the Dear Uniting Love”                         #566

+ SENDING FORTH WITH BLESSING

+ POSTLUDE

(+) Those who are able are invited to stand.

CRAZY LOVE CHAPTER 6 QUESTIONS


1)      What if God loves you so much that He doesn’t want to see you with frustration, doesn’t want you to be shackled with guilt or fear, and doesn’t want you driven to try harder?   How does it affect you to think of Him like that?
2)      Think about Paul’s words in Galations 5:13-14.  How do love and freedom keep us away from sin?
3)      Consider the difference between serving God out of love versus obligation.   How does obedience to God change as our love for God grows? 
4)      Does the Christian life feel free to you?  Or do you feel bound to obey a system of moral commands?   Be descriptive in your answer. 
5)      Which is more difficult for you, relating to God with intimacy or approaching him with reverence?   Why do you think this is more difficult for you?  
6)      What baggage do you carry around with you?  How do you think this affects your relationship with God? 
7)      In the three possibilities of love relationships (with God, neighbor, and self) where are you the strongest?  The weakest?  What have you found that helps love to grow in each area?
8)   It’s time to stop talking about loving God and start spending time directly with Him.   Use everything you’ve thought through in this session as you approach God.  Be honest with Him about your lack of love for Him.  Tell him about your struggles and ask Him to produce more love in your heart.   It’s time to stop talking about loving God and start spending time directly with Him.   Use everything you’ve thought through in this session as you approach God.  Be honest with Him about your lack of love for Him.  Tell him about your struggles and ask Him to produce more love in your heart.   (You may find this prayer from Chapter 6 helpful:) Jesus, I need to give myself up.  I am not strong enough to love You and walk with You on my own.  I can’t do it, and I need You.   I need You deeply and desperately.   I believe You are worth it, that You are better than anything else I could have in this life or the next.   I want You   And when I don’t, I want to want You.   Be all in me.  Take all of me.   Have your way with me”.

No comments:

Post a Comment